You will need:
1/2 Cup Red Quinoa
1/2 Cup Whole Wheatberries (or another alternate whole grain)
1/2 Red Pepper, Chopped
1 Can Black Beans (2 Cups Fresh)
1/2 Cup Carrots, chopped
1 Medium Red Onion, Chopped
1.5 Cups Corn, cooked (I used a store-bought corn salsa to substitute)
1/2 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (or more to taste)
1 small handful of chopped scallions
Fresh Ground Black Peppercorns
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Olive Oil
How to LOVE it:
1. Bring wheatberries w/ 1.5 cups of water to a boil in pan until most water is absorbed. Add the quinoa, as well as more water to the pan, and bring to another boil. You may have to cook slightly longer than regular quinoa, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s be necessary to add a third round of water and bring to another boil.
2. While cooking the wheatberries & quinoa, begin chopping all vegetables except the black beans.
3. Combine all chopped vegetables and olive oil into a pan on medium-high. Allow the vegetables to cook through– red onions become translucent. Turn heat down to medium-low.
4. Add rinsed black beans to vegetables, and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle fresh ground black pepper onto vegetable mixture. Add minced garlic clove and cook for about 3-5 minutes more.
5. Combine wheatberries/quinoa with the vegetable mixture. Fluff with a fork to stir.
6. Serve hot as a main course, or refrigerate, add sliced avocado and serve as a wholesome set of toppings on a greens salad.